Sunday, September 14, 2008

Breaking the Trance

Community as Place of Vulnerability

How does community happen? Down through the centuries many learned and Godly people have asked this question. On some level the answer is always the same and always different. It is the same in that it is always the divine “yes” of Jesus that begins the conversation. It is different in that how that yes comes to us is always in the language of our hearts, in that time and in that place. In other words, God is a missionary and He knows how to speak our language.

As I go from house to house one common denominator seems to arise and that is the trance like state that comes from the isolated self(ves). Biblically we would probably call it a strong hold but it does create trance like states of suspended awareness such that great pain and great truth are mutually ignored. Richard Rohr said it is hard to remain spiritually hungry. We want our answers too quickly and we want the pain to go away. Thus we tend to activities that either hide the pain or dull it or in extreme cases just ignore it all together.

A few months back I had a trip to the hospital. It involved some intestinal track issues in which the pain was pretty excruciating. As many of you know, a few years back I had a bout with cancer. To say I have an aversion for hospitals would be an understatement. On my way to the hospital I realized once again just how fragile I really am. Part of my humanness keeps me from that awareness most of the time or I probably would not be able to function at all. In some ways we are much like that on the spiritual level. There are so many areas of my life that need to come under the scrutiny of the Savior. If He were to reveal Himself in His fullness to me I would surely die (literally). I could not handle the truth of His revealing. However, shame is the word our culture uses for the emotion that hides from the truth because of the fear of being discovered as needy and wanting and unable to deal with the powerful nature of life. Is this such a surprising realzation? On one level, of course I know that life is bigger than me. On the other hand I constantly berate myself for being too weak to handle the ongoing pain and struggles that I encounter. I am ashamed I need anyone for anything. This is one of the primary postures of this trance. I am so ashamed that I need anyone for anything that I will let my sickness, my malady, my pain, my illness, or whatever, just continue on and on so I do not have to reveal my true estate.

What has happened in the church is that we have created a healing place into which no one can check into? When I say we have created” what I mean is that God in Christ has made a way for us to find restoration and safety. He is totally self emptying, totally self giving. And yet we are unable to receive this part of His nature because we see ourselves as unworthy. Our unworthiness ironically is reflected in that fact that we are needy. Do we see the absurdity of this? We theologically know that God in Christ is offering us the fullness of Himself which can and will heal and restore us over time and yet we create a system that only allows us to receive this outpouring if and when we are so defeated and needy that He is our last resort. Let us tear away the shame that keeps us from entering into His rest. Let us tear away the fear of being discovered as imposters.

Issues of leadership and what that means have come to the table for discussion in recent weeks. We have so many models for leadership and being a pastor’s kid, I have been privy to many styles and theories. Recently, Dan Allendar wrote a book entitled “Leading with a Limp” and I must say that this book has revolutionized my understanding as to the nature of true leadership. In “Leading with a Limp“ Allendar takes note of the fact that most leaders see taking charge as an issue of power and control. We lead because we know. We lead because we are where everyone else should be. We lead because we have discovered systems and principles that will allow others to reap the bounty of wisdom that we as leaders can offer. Obviously I am tweaking this point to make a point. Samson Society and the New Adam community has taught me some invaluable things in the last few years. One is the amazing power of organic leadership and the ability of most people to lead on some level at some point. We call it being “fully authorized.” What I have observed is the powerful and beautiful gifts that naturally flow from people as they walk not only in their strengths but in their weaknesses. In other words, it is our wounds that often are the biggest blessing to others. We have been there or we are there and thus we can not only empathize, we can join with our brothers and sisters and walk the journey together. Whether it is finances or health or children or illness or parents or intimacy, we all are human and we all long for healing and restoration. This is the gift we offer to one another.

I opened up this latest blog installment with the question “when can true community happen?” I am convinced that is has been happening for nearly two thousands years and recently we have seen an outbreak of real community in our midst and we are merely following its aroma. Its aroma is sweet. It tastes really good to us once we discover that our shame is keeping us from Him and each other. It is sweet to discover that not only do we not need to hide but that it is our very brokenness that is our gift. It is the fact that we endured or stayed with the struggle or pain or persevered or maybe we didn’t and we saw the Father like a good shepherd come back for us a make sure we were brought back to the rest of the flock. We have memories and testimonies of His love and sufficiency. What a gift to give others.

Pain is a teacher. Suffering is a doorway. For many of us, this is a season of deep pain. I am convinced that once again, the reason this pain is so overwhelming is the trance like power of "the isolated self." We are suffering alone. We are weeping alone. We are waking up so afraid of the future alone and we actually believe that life will not get better. Life is full of ascent and descent. To promise a life of painlessness or a world where there is no struggle would not just be a lie, it would keep us from our Savoir. He knows our broken hearts.

Many communities are on the threshold of discovering this safe place of suffering in public.
We are moving beyond the need for answers alone (we need truth mind you), and beginning to see the Savior in our midst in the lives of each other. Our pride is dieing and we are beginning to see that our life is truly hidden in Christ. We are beginning to see that when Christ is revealed in us, our true glory is revealed as well. Hiding through shame and fear get us no where.

In the end all we have to give away is our journey- our story.

No comments: